Play Like Hendrix & John Mayer: The Rock N Roll THUMB Course
Start Using Your THUMB From Above the Neck: Play CLEANER and More Precisely & Unlock the Pro Rock N' Roll Sound.
This course will teach you how to play ANY song with that cool sound that Jimi Hendrix, John Mayer, and other greats, are constantly using.
It will also teach you everything about the technique of playing “thumb over” chords – which you can read more about right below.
If you observe ALL the biggest rock n’ roll and blues guitar players of the last 50 years, you’ll see a repeathing theme: they all use their THUMB to play the bass notes for most chords up the neck, and their thumb is almost always up there, helping them, and hanging above the fretboard – meaning that their hand is hugging the neck from both sides.
This, my friends, is proper professional guitar technique.
But WHY? That’s exactly what I asked myself as well, especially considering the fact that it was very hard for me at first to wrap my hand around the neck like all the masters do.
So here’s why:
- When you’re “hugging” the neck from both sides – your control over the guitar naturally becomes a lot better, and your playing becomes a lot more confident and clean. (in the “tight”, good way – of playing only the notes that you meant to play)
- When you play barre chords, your pinky finger would now be FREE – which means it will be able to play all those sexy “Hendrix chord embelishments” and riffs.
- When you’ll be standing up – this is a MUCH more comfortable and natural way to play – no more awkward barre chords that make your arm bend in weird angles.
- The “rock n’ roll spanky” sound, developed by Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Frusciante, John Mayer and other masters – would now be unlocked to you, and I’ll show you some first practical footsteps to take in that direction.
- Many new chord shapes (that are especially useful for rock n’ roll and blues) would now be “unlocked” for you.
- Your lead guitar playing (improvising / playing melodies) will be much more clean since you’ll be able to mute the unwanted strings.
- And yes, you’ll also look cooler (: – because that’s how all the professionals play – and for a reason.
The problem that I am especially here to address is that for many people – including me at first, this transition (to playing with the thumb hanging and helping from above) does not come naturally at all.
I was totally sure that something is wrong with my hands or with my guitar – and that I just wasn’t supposed to play with the thumb. Until I GOT it.
So in the course, I will share with you a couple of excellent, and very simple exercises, that just by doing them for a couple of minutes every day – in no time you’ll be playing all those chords with the thumb from above like a pro.
These exercises are exactly what took me from that feeling of “this thumb thing isn’t for me” to “this thumb thing feels so natural and my playing is now SO much more clean, fun and simply cool.
You won’t believe how quickly this transition would come for you, and how natural and BETTER the guitar would feel in your hands.
And then, after we have the thumb “ready to go”, in the second part of the course I will give you some of the best tips and tricks to start getting that “Hendrix” sound – the sound that influenced so many other masters that followed him since the late 60’s until today.
What we will talk about in the Hendrix / John Mayer section of the course:
- What are the 4 INGREDIENTS of the Hendrix and John Mayer sound.
- How to get that Hendrix / Mayer spanky GROOVE that they have in their rhythm playing.
- How to add those cool Hendrixian riffs to funk up your songs and add a lot more interest. The signature of his style!
- His favorite chord shapes, the ones that are the most comfortable to use with the famous riffs.
- And more. But the most important thing is that I will teach you how to take some of their style and combine it into your own style, instead of sounding like a clone or a wannabe.
So get ready to have a lot more fun on the guitar, and to break that door right into the next level of guitar playing.
On top of that, as a bonus, you will learn many more things (see below) that will be of a huge help along your guitar journeys, some of them really took me years to find out.
Bonus – Tricks, Hacks and Techniques: (Partial list, see the curriculum for the rest)
- The 13 Most Useful Guitar Apps in 2019 – apps that will actually help you improve much faster.
- How to Find the Correct Strumming Pattern for any Song – just by listening to it. (I know I have been struggling with this one for years until I figured it out)
- 8 Ways to Develop Your Time-Keeping Skills and Get the PRO Sound
- 6 Tips to Easily Conquer Any Barre Chord. (like the F chord)
- 4 Ways to Avoid the Notorious Pain in the Fingertips that Every Guitarist Encounters.
- My Favorite 13 guitar accessories – things that’ll actually improve your guitar life.
- How to Find That One Chord That Finishes the Song Perfectly.
- 6 Ways to Customize Your Guitar and Add Bling (;
- 8 Golden Guitar Practice Tips to Improve Much Faster
- How to Make Your Guitar 3X More fun to Play
- And more lessons that will enrich your skills and sound, with newer ones added regularly.
97$ Value Bonus: The Guitar Songs Masters Complete E-Books Library: On top of everything that’s above, you’ll get 8 more fancy guitar E-Books that’ll help you improve your guitar life.
- The 14 Best Guitar Apps That You’ll Actually Use
- 11 Guitar Practice Tips for Speedy Improvement
- The Complete Guitar Chords Cheat-Book
- The 13 Best Guitar Accessories That You’ll Need
- My Secret Songbooks Link-Bank: Get Access to 7 Songbooks with 5000+ Songs
- 9 Cool Ways to Customize Your Guitar
- Improve Your Sense of Rhythm Cheat-Sheet
- 5 Fun Techniques to Spice-Up Your Cover Songs
Why should you listen to me?
Hey! My name is Alon Cooper and I am 29 years old. I have been teaching music, both online and face to face, to tens of thousands of students in the last six years – while traveling four different continents and jammin’ and performing with many different musicians. I am mainly a guitarist, pianist and harmonica player, and I also play other instruments including the flute, trumpet, bass and more. I am constantly looking for the best ways and shortcuts to teaching music effectively – and with FUN. The student feedbacks show that I do it very well. (:
My guitar blog, GuitarSongsMasters-com, (founded in 2014) where I share my tips for playing music, has a monthly readership of over 100K people from over a 150 different countries and is one of the world’s top five most read guitar blogs*. I am also the founder of the Harmonica Jamz-com courses and blog that has been online since 2016 and has thousands of happy students here on Udemy.
Cheers, and I’m looking forward to seeing you inside,
*According to stats by SimilarWeb-com
Who this course is for:
- Guitar players who want to take their skills to the next levels and develop a rock n’ roll sound.